Well, I see your confusion – how to choose the best drone model among those thousands models of already existing ones? How much it is ok to pay for it – 20, 100, 1000 or 5000 dollars?
So, if you’ve decided to buy a quadcopter but the problem is which one to choose – here you’ll get the answers to all your questions. There are 18 drone models in our review ranging from the simplest to the most advanced ones plus a detailed guide.
- 1 Well, it is how to choose the best drone?
- 2 The best drones by 2018
- 3 The best drones with camera: this review covers 8 models
- 3.1 Parrot Bebop 2 is a drone for high-speed FPV flights
- 3.2 Yuneec Q500 4K Typhoon Quadcopter Drone is DJI Phantom serious rival
- 3.3 3DR Solo — the best drone for GoPro using
- 3.4 Yuneec Typhoon H UHD 4K best aerial photography drone
- 3.5 DJI Inspire 1 Pro the best 4K camera drone for professionals
- 3.6 DJI Phantom 3: best drone
- 3.7 DJI Phantom 4 Professional a step into the future
- 3.8 DJI Mavic Pro – the best portable drone with camera
- 4 The best drones for the beginners – entry-level pilots
- 5 Best mini drones
- 5.1 Hubsan X4 H107L – a drone for beginners and entertainment
- 5.2 Cheerson Cx-10 Mini – nano drone just for 18 USD
- 5.3 Estes Proto-X 4606: the most popular nano quadcopter in the world
- 5.4 Holy Stone HS170 Predator – Amazon buyers’ Choice
- 5.5 Blade Nano QX – nano drone to fly inside
- 5.6 EACHINE E010 Mini UFO – the best present for a kid
- 6 What is the difference between drones?
- 6.1 A drone with camera or without it?
- 6.2 FPV – an innovation of extensive use
- 6.3 A drone control – via flight controller or a smartphone?
- 6.4 Speed, flying range and time?
- 6.5 Sensors – they protect your drone
- 6.6 The battery – a quadcopter flying time depends on it
- 6.7 Drone motors – brushed or brushless electric motor
- 6.8 A drone size and number of blades
- 6.9 How much money are you ready to spend?
- 6.10 How not to break or loose your drone?
- 7 Here is the review of the best drone companies
Well, it is how to choose the best drone?
What is a multirotor? What is the difference between quadcopter and hexacopter?
First we should clarify the terms that are used. We are going to call the flying machines – drones, though it’s not very correct. The thing is that drone is a spoken term which is just easier to be said. The right name for these devices is a multirotor or a multicopter.
Depending on the number of rotors a drone is called tricopter (3 rotors), quadcopter (4 rotors), hexacopter (6 rotors) or octocopter (8 rotors).As for hexacopters and octocopters – they can lift high and carry some heavy equipment. If one of the rotors breaks down the device still can land successfully unlike quadcopters and tricopters which just fall down in this case. These multicopter models are the most reliable one and the most expensive as well.
Tricopter – is rather rare sort of multicopters. Its advantages are small size and light weight as well as high control response.
Radio-controlled drone quadcopter can be used for many purposes, including military ones. Though in everyday life the device is more often used for two reasons:
- as a toy
- as a device to perform video recording
As well as for:
- different goods delivery
- drone races
For these reasons (rather narrow application range) we won’t include them in our review.
First, make up your mind – why do you need a drone at all?
It’s better to make this choice seriously and consciously. Ask yourself a question: why do I need this device?
- Just for fun? To present it to someone?
- To train before flying professional drones?
- For some amateur or professional video recording?
- To make money by uploading your unique videos to youtube?
- To study hard-to-reach places?
- For some professional business applications?
If you need the machine as an entertainment – it’s not worth spending a lot of money. Your requirements can be met by buying the simplest quadcopter models.
You’ll just have to choose the proper size of the device (since quadcopters differ in diameter – from several inches to dozens of inches) and decide how much money you’d like to spend.
However, if you need a quadcopter to film video than you should consider the devices which can carry a GoPro or those that already have a camera installed. The price of quadcopters capable to carry GoPro and designed specially for video recording starts from $500 (these are mainly old models without GPS), but it’s better to be ready to spend about $1000-1500.
In this case you’ll surely find what you are looking for.
A drone copter to deliver goods to buyers
So you have your own business? And require fast, reliable and modern delivery of your clients’ orders?
Here are the good news! Load-lifting drones already exist!
Though high quality models are still hard to find on the market. Thus when choosing the device for goods delivery pay attention to its rotor blades number, flight endurance and carrying capacity. If you want to minimize the risks – GPS unit on board will make the device flight more reliable and controllable as well as helps to find the device if it gets lost.
Terms – let’s get into the details
Below you may find the list of abbreviations and some special terms widely used both by drones manufacturers and users.
The best drones by 2018Quadcopter market grows constantly. Each year 2-3 new companies enter it and present their radio-controlled drone models. On one hand it ensures wide range of choice for buyers and on the other hand it makes us go deeper into drone details while trying to choose the best one.
To make this process easier we’ve decided to make a list of the most currently popular quadcopters (for winter-spring of 2018): it includes both small toy quadcopters, average sized ones and professional drones with camera.
The best drones with camera: this review covers 8 models
Parrot Bebop 2 is a drone for high-speed FPV flights
A new Parrot Bebop Drone 2 is designed first of all for newbies in the field of radio-controlled flying machines. The manufacturer has equipped this copter with more powerful battery (2700 mAh capacity), due to which parrot drone flying time has increased from 11 to 25 minutes.
Parrot Bepop 2 has easy and user-friendly control interface both from a smartphone or a tablet. The drone comes with a remote control device Parrot Skycontroller, that improves flying possibilities of the machine.
The main feature of Bebop Drone 2 is its unique camera (located on a stabilizing arms) with a sensor for 14 Mpx and a Fisheye objective. The camera can film quality Full HD video and take pictures with maximal resolution.
Due to strong software and hardware platform the manufacturer succeeded in implementation of digital video stabilization system that performs as good as gyro stabilization.
Another feature of this drone is its position control system GNSS (GPS + GLONASS + Galileo). An embedded unit allows tracking the device location, setting in advance the route for it to fly by an autopilot as well as getting it back to the flying-off point with one touch.
Parrot Bebop has been the company’s flagship model for a long time, but now the model number 2 was produced.
This model has an obvious advantage over the previous one due to its This model has an obvious advantage over the previous one due to its improved flying characteristics, twice longer off-line work duration, a new camera and smaller size.
Unlike its predecessor Parrot Bebop 2 advantages can be easily seen – it is more powerful due to higher tightness of its brushless motor winding as well as to new and more efficient speed controllers.
The camera has been upgraded and now it films better if there’s lack of light and thanks to a new optical system and higher inclination angle of the camera itself much more objects will get into its frame.
- Compact and lightweight quadcopter drone (1.1 lbs)
- Ultra-precise piloting and extended flight range of up to 1.2 mile with Parrot Skycontroller 2
- Immersive flight experience with Parrot Cockpitglasses (FPV goggles)
- Shoot full HD 1080P videos and 14Mpx photos with the built-in wide-angle camera. Footage can be captured in RAW, JPEG and DNG format.
- High capacity 2700mAh battery with up to 25 min battery life
A new GPS controller Ublox Neo 8M is mounted on the device, which has raised the number of the satellites being detected up to 19 (as against 12 that the previous model has). Therefore now the drone positional precision has been sufficiently improved.
On Parrot Bebop 2 board there is 14 Mpx camera with digital 3-axis stabilization set to an angle into a polypropylene box in the device head. Completely new fisheye lens has improved the camera filming ability when there is lack of light.
It records video with 1920 × 1080Р resolution at 30 fps, in H264 format as well as takes photos with 4096 × 3072 resolution in JPEG / RAW / DNG formats.
Parrot Bebop 2 battery is 3S 11.1В 2700mAh LiPo, unlike it was stated by the manufacturer instead of 15 minutes of flight endurance the device has demonstrated 25 minutes at medium wind with some gusts and with working camera (the battery charge was 100% at the beginning of the test and 5% at the end with a warning and automatic return of the device).
Parrot Bebop 2 control can be performed with a single device (IOS/Android) as well as together with a hi-tech remote control Parrot Black Skycontroller. The latter is expensive but more convenient and functional.
When the device is controlled with one gadget its flying range is up to 10 feet and once you join it with Parrot Black Skycontroller the flying range increases up to 1.24 miles. The remote control supports connection to FPV glasses tandem via HDMI port that is on the remote control.
When using these devices together (the drone / a gadget /the remote control device /FPV glasses) the pilot gets the most full and unspeakable flying experiences.
Currently Parrot Black Skycontroller remote control is compatible with FPV-glasses made by «Sony FPV» and «Zeiss Cinemizer», but the manufacturer says that this list will be longer in future.
It is a perfect drone for action-flights which gives a delightful experience when flying using the remote control device and FPV-glasses. Parrot Bebop 2 is very fast-moving which makes it so longed-for. It’s user friendly interface allows using the device from the very first time without training on simpler models to get the idea of how to fly a drone. We should mention that Bebop 2 is designed more for FPV flights, therefore you shouldn’t buy it if you are looking for a drone to perform high quality landscape recording.
- Parrot Skycontroller remote control
- 25 minutes of flying time
- Fish eye objective
- Vertical filming
- Design / modular design
- Build quality / weight
- Electronics performance
- Positioning precision
- Camera / stabilization
- Flight duration
- Automatic flight
- Automatic flying-off/ landing
- Safe and simple control
- Paid FreeFlight Pro service
Yuneec Q500 4K Typhoon Quadcopter Drone is DJI Phantom serious rival
A perfect drone for landscape quality filming. This device will do for experienced pilots or professional photographs. The drone set consists of the bestselling quadcopter Yuneec Typhoon Q500+ with 4К camera, that has lots of settings and it will satisfy even a professional camera operator.
Then goes a remote control with an embedded 5.5-inch touchscreen, Steady Grip (a handler for stabilization when filming on the ground) and two powerful batteries 6300 mA·h, each of which provides quadcopter Yuneec Typhoon Q500+ with 25 minutes of flying time.
The complete set is put into a professional aluminum case that improves it transportability and allows getting the device ready to fly in several minutes.
CGO+ feature in Yuneec Typhoon Q500 quadcopter is that the camera is portable. Besides, you can put the camera on a light stand Steady Grip and record video without using the copter.
Steady Grip has attachments for a smartphone, so you can broadcast video from the camera there – use mobile app CGO to do this.
Yuneec Typhoon Q500 with 4K camera is regarded as a serious competitor to the latest models of DJI Phantom quadcopters. We should mention that Yuneec Q500 Typhoon 4K is supplied in a complete package, which means that no further adjustments are required.
- Personal Ground Station with built-in touchscreen, Integrated 3-axis precision gimbal camera
- 4K/30fps ultra high definition video, 1080p/120fps slow motion video
- User controlled video resolution, white balance and light exposure
- 12 megapixel photos with No-Distortion Lens
- Does not include Aluminum case, includes one battery
Yuneec Typhoon and the camera are sold in a one set with an aluminum case for them, where all necessary spare parts and expendables required for filming outside easily fit.
Q500 Typhoon is an ideal quadcopter for those, who want to buy a radio-controlled drone with a camera, charge a battery and start to fly and film video for Youtube at the same time. The thing is that all accessories needed to make the drone fly already come in its set.
- the camera, that can film 4K/30fps ultra high definition video, 1080p/120fps slow motion video
- 3-axis precision gimbal camera CGO3
- ground station ST10, that includes remote control with 5.5 inch touchscreen
- 2 batteries
- SD card 8 Gb
- Standard power supply and the one that can be used in the car
- 4 spare rotors
- Detailed manual
According to its manual – having one fully charged 5400 mAh battery the drone can fly for 25 minutes maximum, under real-life conditions it is a bit less – about 21-22 minutes. It depends on how the drone is controlled, manipulation activity and weather. The battery charges completely in 2 hours.
There is an adapter for power supply plug it in a car’s lighter socket, so you can be sure that filming outside can be easily performed.
Another thing is that it’s quite troublesome to take such an “expensive toy” with you when you go hiking for example – the quadcopter frame is — 16.5х16.5 cm and the device is 7.8 cm high. You can’t use it inside for sure, however outside a drone of such size is easier to be seen and controlled, besides it is much quieter than its smaller sized fellows (due to its rotors smaller diameter and lower engine rotational rate).
The drone flying range is about 2600 feet, height — 400 (by default), but you can adjust maximum height level yourself.
Q500 Typhoon is equipped with a compass and GPS unit as well as with a function of automatic return home (to the initial flying-off point). You can control the drone using 3 different modes (Smart, Angle and Home). The most advanced modes require GPS connection: they limit the flying speed, but make the control process much simpler.
The most easy and rough control mode is a direct control – it requires only the compass calibration and after that the quadcopter can fly at overwhelming speed (up to 50-55 m/h), it completely responds the user, although in this case automatic position control, wind resistance and other cool stuff that semiautomatic modes can offer are out of question.
But the most amazing feature of this new copter is its ability to follow the user with a GPS PLB (personal locator beacon or a smartphone) at some distance and film this. Of course, there is a function to broadcast video from the camera directly to the remote control device screen.
Perfect filming quality, package contents which are more than enough, the remote control of “all inclusive” type, which doesn’t require buying any tablet additionally or using a smartphone as a screen – are rather significant Typhoon 4k advantages.
- Modern futuristic design
- High build quality, GoPRO friendly
- It was specially designed for aerial photography, taking pictures and filming
- The device control module has a FPV monitor
- Up to 25 minutes of continuous flight duration
- «Follow me» and «Watch me» functions
- LED touchscreen 5.5 inch
- Highly intelligent device (up to 16 route points with the possibility of filming in the center)
- Fixation in the given point mode (the drone is anchored strongly even if the wind is strong)
- CGO Steadygrip V3 comes in the set
- GPS system works precisely
- 5.8GHz video broadcasting to the remote control device screen
- Flying range is 2624 feet
- A unique 3-axis motorized arm CGO3, 5.5 inch LED touchscreen
- The price, but if compared with the 3rd series Phantom drone, then Q500 Typhoon price is sufficiently lower
- There are no sensors that would allow the device flying round any obstacles
- The battery doesn’t display any info about its current charge level (it can be seen on the remote control screen only)
3DR Solo — the best drone for GoPro using
3DR Solo is the first copter that provides direct control for Go Pro camera. The device allows streamed HD-video broadcasting right to your mobile device by means of a controller.
3DR company has been working side by side with GoPro, due to which Solo has full access to all camera settings. Now you can start and stop filming when you fly, you can choose images that you want to delete or save just during the flight – this reduces the number of needless shots.
One of the main 3DR Solo — is its open-source software that can be adjusted to your needs and requirements. Besides 3D Robotics are famous for their high quality technical support, that’s why if you:
- live in the USA
- can modify and adjust software and you know what for;
- need a quality quadcopter where you can mount your camera
In this case – don’t hesitate and buy this device. But if a word collocation “open source” means nothing to you, you don’t have a GoPro and a “gyropilot” drone function doesn’t make your heart beat faster – 3DR Solo Smart Drone can turn out to be just a very expensive toy for you.
- Solo's video game-style controller will feel familiar the second you pick it up, even if you've never flown a drone. Pushbutton commands put both camera and copter at your fingertips. Take off, land or instantly pause your flight midair with a single touch. Click to start and stop recording or snap a photo, even adjust camera angle while you fly
- In case you missed it in the picture...that's a high-quality HDMI port directly from the controller so you can connect Solo to practically any screen you can think of. Refer user manual below
- Full-featured app for iOS and Android puts total craft control at your fingertips.
Smart Drone resembles its predecessors IRIS+ and X8 in its appearance. The copter designers decided to create totally unique design and we can say for sure that they have reached their goal – the new drone looks like any other device.
One of the quadcopter design features is a room for its accessories made right in the drone. Therefore you can keep spare parts right inside the device saving the space in your bag or case.
When buying a quadcopter you get a standard set that consists of the following:
- the copter itself
- 3-axis precision gimbal camera
- 4 rotors
- a remote control device
- a battery
- a power supply
- a set of cables
These cameras are the ones that’ll provide the best experiences when flying the copter, since both stabilization technology, remote control device and software were made exactly for these cameras.
The copter has the newest gyropilot Pixhawk 2. This allows giving the device a necessary flying route in advance and take the required photos and record video during the flight.
As for the other gyropilot functions we should mention its ability to fly around some object in 360 degrees path.
3DR Solo remote control has fixturing for mobile devices that work on iOS and Android. It also has a HDMI-port, so you will be able to observe the drone flight in the real time scale on any monitor or TV. The quadcopter set includes 5200mAh battery.
If using a standard power supply it charges in 90-100 minutes, though this is enough for just 20 minutes of the drone flight with a motorized stabilizing arm and a camera installed (you may extend this time to 25 minutes without them).
Nowadays 3DR Solo Drone is one of the best designed quadcopters. It has strong carriers, its rotors are made from reinforced fiber-optic nylon – even in case of heavy landing the device is safe. The drone supports are arranged so that they protect the motorized arm ( and your GoPro camera), since they face the hit when the drone crashes.
- Possibility to install an arm for GoPro cameras
- Has an embedded computer on board with 1 GHz processor and OS Linux
- Broadcasts streamed HD-video right to your mobile device via controller
- Design modularity
- Flying characteristics
- Gyrostabilized 3-axis motorized arm
- Pixhawk 2
- OS Linux (drone / remote control)
- Unique programmed flying modes
- Can’t fly around obstacles
- Designed for only GoPro cameras
- Has no camera in the set
Yuneec Typhoon H UHD 4K best aerial photography drone
This device with 6 rotors costs less than Phantom 4, at that it has all the functions of its main rival and even a few additional functions. Is this enough to compete with such bestsellers as P4 and 3DR Solo? Lets find out.
Hexacopter Yuneec Typhoon H is a ready-to-fly device (RTF) and belongs to «Smart Drons» market segment and it means that its user doesn’t have to have any experience in flying drones before. Yuneec Typhoon H hexacopter is made for taking highly intelligent and high quality professional photos and video recording.
Typhoon H is a hexacopter, i.e. it has 6 rotors instead of standard 4 ones at that it needs just 5 rotors to fly. In case if one of its rotors gets broken, the rest will be enough to continue flying.
Typhoon H has become the 1st one in the product line of Yuneec Typhoon, that has 360 degrees rotating motorized arm for the camera. It sufficiently broadens the hexacopter functions. Its closest rival with a similar stabilizing technology is DJI Inspire, that costs twice as much.
- READY OUT OF THE BOX - Comes with ST16 all-in-one controller (no need for a separate phone / tablet), Integrated 7-inch Android touchscreen, Wizard, backpack, extra battery and extra props
- SAFE TO FLY WITH BUILT-IN COLLISION AVOIDANCE - Intel RealSenseTM Technology intelligently navigates around obstacles, FAA compliant no-fly zone, 6 rotor safety with 5 rotor fail-safe, and ultrasonic collision prevention
- EASY TO FLY - GPS stabilized flight control, with 8 smart flight modes, automatic return to home, auto takeoff and auto land. No experience needed
- 4K STUNNING VIDEO & IMAGE QUALITY - 4K Ultra High Definition video, 12 megapixel photos, full 360° anti-vibration gimbal, retractable landing gear for 360° filming, and team mode so one films while the other flies. 720p digital video downlink
- UPGRADED ONE YEAR WARRANTY - Guarantees against manufacturer defects from the original date of purchase
Though we have to mention that the sensors are placed on the drone front side and they can detect only the obstacles in front of them.
Another advantage of the device is a full set of off-line modes. All the modes that 3DR Solo and Phantom 4 have, Typhoon H has as well — Cable Cam, Orbit, Follow me and others.
They let the user delegate them the device control and concentrate only on camera manipulating.
The drone control is performed by means of its own ground station ST16 that uses OS Android. Apart from analogue control the station allows its user to program an off-line mode flight, take cool pictures and record video.
Yuneec Typhoon H camera marked as CG03+ – is an upgraded version of CG03 camera that Typhoon Q500 4K drone has. It can film 4K video at 30 fps or 1080p at 60 fps.
Unlike its predecessor CG03+ camera has larger matrix, faster processor and wider camera angle (115 degrees). This camera also can take pictures with 12 megapixel resolution and its objective is protected from optical distortions. Considering all these features of this new camera, GoPro camera can not be in the same league with it.
In compatison with its main rivals — DJI Phantom 4 and 3DR Solo — Yuneec Typhoon H copter wins on almost all parameters. Of course, the machine isn’t an ideal one, but its performance capabilities are just amazing. Keeping in mind Yuneec Typhoon H price, this hexacopter will be the best choice from those already existing nowadays drones with a camera onboard. The following advantages make it the best one — smart modes of free flight, dodging mode, the remote control device with an embedded touchscreen and even 4К-camera, that pivots at 360 degrees. So, if you are engaged in aerial photography and filming, you definitely should pay attention to this machine.
- High build and design quality
- Self-sustainability, small size
- Programmable modes
- Intel RealSense / IPS (Optical Flow Sensor) – the device flies around obstacles of any size even at night
- 4К/HD filming quality, the camera pivots at 360º
- Ability to connect to FPV headset
- Doesn’t require any experience in drone flying and you can upgrade the drone with any additional equipment
- The device supports raise up when it flies off
- User-friendly remote control device
- The price
- The device design – eventually it becomes a bit cranky
- Level of the device battery charge can be seen only on its ground set screen
- Wizard remote and Backpack control device are missing from the Advanced set
- The device set must include not less than 2 batteries
- It is not adapted for GoPRO as it was done in the previous models
- The battery recharge time. The full charging cycle takes about 2 hours
DJI Inspire 1 Pro the best 4K camera drone for professionals
One of the best products currently developed by Dji company designers is DJI Inspire 1 Pro/RAW (the latest drone model DJI Inspire 2 has just recently entered the market and it’s too early to provide any judgments about it). As for ordinary amateurs this drone will be too expensive and of little use.
However, as for professional users – it’d be rather difficult to find the same high quality and attractively designed alternative to this device.
DJI Inspire 1 unique feature is that its carbon supports automatically move away and rotors supports rise up right after the drone flies off. As a result of this transforming design the device camera gets full unobstructed 360° view.
Inspire 1 body is made of carbon fiber that makes it aerodynamic and light-weighted and allows carrying lots of useful and sophisticated devices on board.
DJI Inspire 1 Pro/RAW camera Zenmuse X5 that comes in the device set is of the highest interest. It weighs 18,55 unciae. Nevertheless, it hasn’t influenced flying quality and wind resistance of DJI Inspire 1 Pro/RAW.
- The Ultimate Inspire Quadcopter 1 Bundle
- DJI's new propeller and installation kits feature a smoother, even more reliable locking mechanism. This optimization has drastically reduced the abrasion that is common with propeller installation, therefore prolonging the propeller's overall service life.
- The new motor's performance has also been improved, providing a greater sense of control.
- Included professional 4K camera and 3-axis stabilization gimbal
- Dedicated remote with flight and camera controls
Zenmuse X5 — is the first in the world Digital Interchangeable Lens camera with a stabilizing arm, designed specially for aerial photography and cinematography. Its arm supports installing one of the accessory lens: DJI MFT 15mm f/1.7 ASPH, Panasonic Lumix 15mm G Leica DG Summilux f/1.7 ASPH, Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm f/2.0 and Olympus M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8 lens.
The camera records video in 4K resolution at 30 fps in MP4 and MOV formats, as for the photos they are JPEG and DNG formats recorded on microSD. The camera has 16-megapixel matrix Micro 4/3 and it supports using accessory lenses. In addition to it the device can film at lack of light conditions due to the wide range of photo sensibility of its matrix (from 100 to 25600 ISO units).
To avoid collisions with obstacles the drone is equipped with two ultrasound sonars and a technical camera.
DJI Inspire 1 — is a quadcopter for professionals. Its price reflects its functional capabilities. Its high-output camera capable of filming 4K video and a motorized arm that makes 360 degrees turnaround possible and ensures getting quite high quality video. On the other hand Inspire 1 price may easily push off the buyers. But on the second thought a high quality video can be recorded at 1920×1080 resolution and you can construct a copter on your own for your purposes and for the same price.
- High quality 4K filming
- Unobstructed 360-deg visibility of the device camera
- Can be controlled by two pilots
- Broadcasts FullHD-video at distance up to 2 km
- Maximum flight speed is 50 m/h
- Flying time is 18 minutes;
- Flight level is 14763 feet
- Control distance is 1,25 miles
- Visual system of the device positioning to fly inside
- Optical positioning system
- System modularity: it’s possible to replace the camera and the carrying arm
- Capable of flying in wind speed up to 19 m/h
- «Smart» battery
- Unique attractive design
- Just its high price
DJI Phantom 3: best drone
DJI Phantom 3 Standard is the most affordable quadcopter with an intelligent stabilization and control system, equipped with a fantastic camera capable of recording 2.7K HD video and 12-megapixel photos.
The device has everything that both an entry-level and a professional pilot may need. It has a user-friendly smartphone app that eases the device control, GPS unit for safe flights and getting back home, reliable brushless motors and lots of other stuff.
DJI Phantom 3 isn’t just a toy, but a full-fledged copter capable of filming and taking pictures. This machine can bring you joy and amusement: you’ll see your city from a bird’s eye view as well as all hard-to-reach areas and feel yourself a real pilot by performing complicated pilotage.
DJI quadcopters are considered by right to be the best on the market – their earlier models have no rivals within these price brackets as for flying characteristics and software options. As for Phantom 3 Professional – this model is designed for true professionals who know for sure why they need advanced filming capabilities.
- 4k UHD video recording with fully stabilized 3-axis gimbal; Vision Positioning system allows stable flight indoors
- Lightbridge digital streaming allows live viewing of 720p video (full resolution video is simultaneously recorded on the internal microSD card)
- Included flight battery and rechargable remote controller means this system is ready to fly out of the box. Flying this product is restricted within 15 miles radius of the White House.
- DJI Pilot app for iOS and Android allows live viewing and complete camera control (phone/tablet sold separately; see DJI's website for compatible models)
- Kindly refer all the Tutorial Videos given in the Image Section on the Catalog before use for the proper training.
It’s almost impossible to see who is who by their appearance, that’s why the manufacturer has foreseen colored stickers put on a device body. Standard version has red ones, Advanced – silvery, Professional – golden colored stickers. As for their functional differences – these are rather significant.
Standard drone version differs from the others in that “remote control device-smartphone” and “remote control device-quadcopter” data exchange is performed via “wi-fi”. «LightBridge» function is missing and as a result communication distance reduces (1640-3200 feet) and the recorded video quality is getting low.
No GLONASS support in its turn worsens the quadcopter positioning as well as its flying accuracy for long distances (up to 3 miles). There is no «Vision» function, that helps piloting the drone. The camera is different, too.
In «Standard» and «Advanced» versions it records video at 2.7К and 30 fps. On the remote control device there are no buttons for photo and video filming, «Playback» button is missing too, as well as buttons for exposition and camera angle change.
Advanced drone version is very reverse of «Standard» one. «Advanced» is equipped with the following functions: «LightBridge», GLONASS (at least 36 satellites at the same time) and the above mentioned «Vision» function.
The camera was left the same. Buttons for photo and video filming, «Playback» button and scroll to change the exposition and camera angle were added to the remote control device panel. Additionally the manufacturer has foreseen 2 more buttons, action for which the user can choose himself according to his personal preferences.
Professional drone version is the bestselling one and the only thing that differs it from «Advanced» version is its camera. Here the manufacturer put the camera capable of filming 4K video at 30 fps.
DJI Phantom 3 general flight duration is 23 minutes. The information about the flight duration time stated in the manual coincides with the real life tests values – the new drone demonstrates approximately the same flight time duration that is indicated in its manual.
Professional version copter flying range is 1,24 miles with simultaneous HD video broadcasting (in the area where there are no obstacles). Hovering ceiling is up to 1650 feet, by default it is limited with 330 feet. The device memory has records about the places where it is prohibited to fly – airports, governmental institutions and others – this list is continuously renewed.
The drone take-off speed is up to 16 feet per second, it lands at 10 feet per second speed, its maximal speed is 53 feet per second! It is a very fast device, that can fly rather far. So you may see a landscape view for miles around which is very beautiful.
- Intelligent stabilization and control system
- HD camera
- GPS unit
- Ready-to-fly device
- User-friendly control
- Significant flying range
- Flying modes
- Flying time
- 3-axis motorized stabilization arm
- OnLine video broadcasting to YouTube
- Data exchange between the drone and remote control device via Wi-Fi (for Advanced version)
- Little operability of the remote control device (for Advanced)
- No HDMI switch
- Can’t be modified
DJI Phantom 4 Professional a step into the future
DJI Phantom 4 is the 4th generation of DJI quadcopters. It differs from the previous models in improved FullHD camera video quality at 1080p, higher flying speed, the battery capacity and a new sensors system which consists of 2 very sensitive sensors scanning the surrounding area in the range from 0,7 to 15 meters.
Due to this the device collision possibility with any obstacles is close to zero, since mostly the crashes are the reason why the device breaks down.
We should also mention, that the developers have upgraded this model by adding 3-axis carrying arm with a remote control unit, due to which you get very sharp and accurate image without any trembling or vibrations even if the weather is windy or if the filming is performed at high speed.
DJI Phantom 4 Pro quadcopter continues the product line and it was sufficiently upgraded in comparison with DJI Phantom 3 drone. The new device flying range is 4.35 miles, its flying velocity reaches 45 mies per hour and the flight duration is 30 minutes.
- Camera with 1-inch 20MP sensor the onboard camera has been redesigned to use a 1-inch Megapixel CMOS sensor.
- Five-directions of obstacle sensing. Please refer the Instructional Video and the User Manual before use.
- More powerful video processing supports H.264 4K videos at 60fps or H.265 4K at 30fps, both with a 100Mbps bitrate
- Note: Refer the Instructional Video and the User Manual before use which is highly recommended.
Now to install rotors you don’t have to screw them, it is enough just to put them on until you hear a specific click. As for the drone appearance design – there are no significant changes except for its surface now has pretty nice looking gloss coating.
The company has been working to upgrade forward-collision sensing system – so the new drone “sees” obstacles at 100 feet distance in front of it, behind and under it. Earlier models could broadcast the camera data only to a tablet or smartphone, now the device set has its own 5.5 inch tablet, which is another plus of the latest drone model.
Among the introduced improvements the main one is the increased flying time. Now, according to the manufacturer’s information, it is equal to 30 minutes. This value was obtained due to several tricks. One of which is the battery replacement with a new one of 5870 mA/h.
Thanks to the improved communications system using branded Lightbridge HD technology the machine flying range has increased as well and now it equals 4.35 miles.
These improvements were reached due to using a larger sensor which square is 1 inch and 20 megapixel matrix. A sensor named Exmor-R also used in Sony professional cameras is responsible for the camera optics dynamic range and photosensitivity.
The user still can vary video recording bit rate, at that capturing at 30 or 60 fps is performed at 100 Mb/s and 120 fps at 80 Mb/s speed.
В Phantom 4 Pro now has new “smart” modes. The drone can get back home using the same route that it was flying till the connection was lost. Also the user can draw the drone route with his finger on a touchscreen.
There are new possibilities of an object beacon tracking, the device can automatically fly backwards from the given point as well as taking selfies by means of gestures as it is done by Mavic Pro copter.
Phantom 4 capability to provide high quality filming and photos from any camera angle has captured journalists, professional camera men and amateurs attention right away. You can enjoy the drone smooth flight for a long time and your neighbors and friends will envy you, especially when you show them videos and pictures when the machine gets back.
This advanced model is ideal for young men and for filming extreme sports, trips and activity holidays.
- Intelligent stabilization and control system
- Flying characteristics
- Stand-alone self-sufficiency
- LightBridge HD
- Camera / carrying arm / codec H.265
- Mechanical shutter
- Flying range up to 4.35 miles
- Video bit rate up to 100Mbps
- Flying time
- The price
DJI Mavic Pro – the best portable drone with camera
DJI Mavic Pro is the best quadcopter in 2018 that can be bought for $. Mavic not only leaves Phantom 4 behind as for the price and flying speed, it also has several flying modes, longer flying range and pocket design. Mavic Pro is second to none among all portable quadcopters.
First of all we should mention the drone size. Even in comparison with Phantom series of the same manufacturer the device is rather small.
The extended device size is 88х83х198 mm and in a stowed position it is even smaller. The machine weigh is quite small as well and it equals 26,21 unciae.
The buyer gets a complete set of front and bottom sensors that allow avoiding collisions, tracing objects, off-line landing and preserving the device stability inside without any signal from a satellite.
- What's in this combo: MAVIC PRO Original Package, 2 Extra batteries, 2 Extra propellers, 1 charging hub, 1 car charger, 1 battery to power bank adaptor and a shoulder bag
- The DJI Mavic Pro folds down as small as a bottle of water, making it small enough to bring with you everywhere.New OcuSync transmission system offers up to 4.3 miles (7km) of transmission range.
- Fly at up to 40mph (64kmh) or for as long as 27-minutes.True 4K, fully stabilized ensures smooth footageActive Track, Tap Fly and other smart features make professional looking video effortless.
- Obstacle Avoidance combined with sensor redundancy increases flight safety and reliability.
- Vision positioning paired with GPS and GLONASS ensures precise positioning indoor and outdoors.Fly by Phone over Wi-Fi for even easier flight
Sure, it is possible to take 12-megapixel pictures in Adobe DNG format. The camera angle has become a bit smaller: 78 degrees against 94 degrees of Phantom 4 camera angle. At that the camera has higher-aperture lens: f/2,2 against f/2,8 that Phantom 4 has. Mavic Pro has 3-axis precision gimbal camera just like other bestselling drones.
The most interesting is that Mavic Pro is to some extent better than Phantom 4. For example, it can transmit video signals at 4.35 miles distance (Phantom 4 has 3 miles distance) through the new branded wireless communication interface OcuSync.
The drone itself isn’t the only innovation. The remote control device has also been improved – now it’s much smaller and resembles a game pad. At that it now has an LCD screen that displays all main info such as height, speed, distance and orientation.
Thus if you don’t need some extended device features and on-line broadcasting to the screen it’s possible to fly without a plugged in smartphone ( by the way this feature now doesn’t require a cable).Mavic Pro is capable of accelerating to a speed of 40 m/h. Approximate flying time is 27 minutes in off-line mode. The batteries are replaceable, and additional battery.
The best drones for the beginners – entry-level pilots
Mini-drones are smaller than a palm and they are to be used only inside, since even the lightest wing can carry the device far away. Such drones offer 2-3 flying modes: the easiest one makes the device highly control response – because it stabilizes itself and doesn’t fall down this way neutralizing operator errors.
If you turn of the support system the drone becomes more maneuverable and faster, that’s why experienced pilots can even do some tricks with it. The largest drawback of these devices is their battery: as a rule mini-copters battery store of energy is enough only for 3-5 minutes and then the device has to spend about 30 minutes charging its battery.
Using such a device you can easily learn both piloting basics and more complicated manipulation and even some tricks. Although drone models in these price brackets have no hi-tech sensors, but some of them may have a camera on board.
However, such a camera might be of very little use since its resolution is more likely to be very low and because of stabilization system absence the images the camera takes may be blurred.
In this case Parrot AR.Drone 2.0 and its modifications are the best and optimal choice. It is strong and not expensive quadcopter of proper size and it is also highly crashproof.
Holy Stone HS160 Shadow is the best drone for FPV beginners
Holy Stone company isn’t just some Chinese No Name that has decided to manufacture drones all of a sudden to make money by selling popular devices. This brand has gained its high reputation by producing many famous and reliable drones.
So, in 2017 this company introduced a new device – Holy Stone HS160 Shadow, that was said to be the one for kids and FPV beginners. The device immediately become Amazon’s bestseller to make another drone model Holy Stone HS160 Shadow leave our top rating.
Now let’s see what makes Holy Stone HS160 Shadow drone the most wanted one for the beginners?
First and foremost, it is its price. Even I must admit that the device is more than just a good one for the price. Once you finish reading the article, you’ll see that micro quadcopters cost a bit less as a rule. However, if we compare their functions – these are just toys, therefore they won’t give you any idea of what it’s like to fly a real quadcopter and how exiting it is.
At that the device is also capable of recording video of quite decent quality. In case if the quadcopter crashes or gets lost (which, sadly, happens rather often), you won’t be sorry for the money spent – since it isn’t an expensive one.
- FOLDABLE STRUCTURE: Foldable & flexible blades make the drone small and portable. Also provides a better and safer flight experience
- Wi-Fi FPV 720P HD CAMERA: Equipped with 720P HD camera to take aerial photos and videos. Images and videos will be stored in both the app and the mobile album system
- APP CONTROL SYSTEM: Operate your drone through an APP after connecting the Wi-Fi to your phone (iOS or Android), offering you real-time image transmission, easy to shoot and read, fun to share
- MODULAR and BONUS BATTERY: There are 2 powerful 3.7V 500mAh Modular batteries including 1 bonus, which can support longer flight time for you and your family, this modular design ensures the safety of charge and storage
- ONE KEY START/ LANDING: Allows players of any level (Beginners Intermediates Experts) to fly the drone easily with perfect control and wonderful performance. Offering Release Date: 2017/8/12
It has an embedded 720P HD camera. Surely, the filming quality it provides can’t be compared with any quadcopter for professionals, though this is quite enough for the beginners. The most important advantage of this device is the First Person View (FPV). Which means that you get the image from the drone camera right on your smartphone and can save videos and photos directly into its memory.
The device is easily controlled, and its operating status is quickly achieved. The quadcopter has a transmitter where you fasten your smartphone, two joysticks and several buttons. Such a device is good to master skills, get the experience how to control the quadcopter. This one has 4 speeds and a very high control response.
Holy Stone HS160 Shadow is controlled by means of the app (iOS or Android), while its take-off and landing are performed by means of one button. At that the device has Gravity Sensor Mode.
The quadcopter is small sized, so you can take it anywhere with you and you don’t need a case or a car to transport it. The drone is a bit larger than a grown-up men’s palm and it weighs correspondingly.
Bonuses you get are two powerful batteries, 3D VR headset is compatible with this drone, LED Light to fly in the evening or at night.
- Small size
- Simple operation
- Android and OS App for it
- LED Light
- Subsidiary battery
- Not very good camera
- A light weighted device, so you’d better not use it in windy weather
Parrot AR.Drone 2.0 – a perfect drone for the beginners
This is a new modification of a popular AR.Drone quadcopter. AR.Drone 2.0 Elite Edition has two pairs of rotors. The device can be controlled via iPhone, iPad or iPod touch connected to the gadget by means of Wi-Fi.
The quadcopter has two cameras – one is in the bottom and it follows the flying process as well as transmits the route information to the computer. The second camera broadcasts video from the “pilot’s cabin” to a mobile device in the real time scale.
It became more stylish with easier and more sufficient control. The tear-drop body has better aerodynamic properties that improve AR.Drone control outside. It is simple as usual – even a kid can get the idea in 5 minutes. The batteries of the 1st version devices are compatible with the new AR.Drone 2.0, which is very convenient.
- Piloting is easy from a smartphone or tablet
- Remote control quadricopter controlled using an iOS or Android smartphone or tablet
- 720p high-definition live video streaming & recording to smartphone or tablet while flying
- Record & share videos & pictures straight from AR. Free Flight piloting app
- Processor: ARM Cortex A8 processor 1GHz 32 bit with 800MHz video DSP TMS320DMC64x, RAM: 1GB DDR2 RAM at 200MHz, OS: Linux 2.6.32
Nowadays AR.Drone 2.0 is one of the most popular drones for amateurs on the market. The 1st version of the device appeared long ago in 2010 and the 2nd version was produced in 2012 and still it is highly demanded.
So where did this popularity of Parrot AR.Drone 2.0 come from? Well, it is plain and simple – the device is dynamic, comparatively not expensive and easy-to-use: it doesn’t require any special skills and assembling.
We’d recommend to choose Parrot AR.Drone 2.0 Power Edition. This version differs from the previous ones in that instead of one 1000mAh battery, it has two 1500mAh, plus three sets of color rotors.
The drone camera can film video at 720p (30 fps and H264) and take pictures, however, they both turn out to be not of the best quality. The video is recorded onto embedded 4 GB SD card, but you can connect an external flash drive to the drone and perform the recording on it. As for the photos they are transmitted to a tablet or a smartphone where they are stored in JPEG format.
The quadcopter control is performed via special application AR.FreeFlight, that can be installed on a tablet or a smartphone that use iOS or Android. By the way you can fly Ar.Drone 2.0 not only by means of above mentioned devices, since others are also supported, but you will have to buy them on your own.
Those who have GoPro also like installing it on the drone, though it isn’t meant for this, it flies off and even flies successfully with such load on board. But there are no ideal copters and AR.Drone 2.0 has its drawbacks as well, and under some circumstances they may completely cross out all its advantages.
So there are two main disadvantages: the device has rather low wind resistance and very fragile design – you should avoid any collisions since it may break down.
In general Parrot AR.Drone 2.0 is a perfect option for those who want a radio-controlled toy capable of flying about several dozen meters high and simultaneous video filming. Parrot AR.Drone 2.0 – is an easy to use hi-tech toy for an ordinary user. Despite the fact that its price may seem high, this is the most affordable model of this class on the market. This quadcopter advantages are the following: quality of execution, package contents, serviceability standards, simplicity of operation, Android and iOS compatibility.
- Equipped with HD-camera, that can broadcast 720p video to iPhone, iPad or Android-device
- 3-axis gyroscope with a rotational angle 2000 degrees/sec
- Easy to control and adjust
- Flies quite high – at least 500 feet high
- It has a camera and supports FPV
- Rather long flight duration with batteries of 1500 mAh capacity and more
- It is possible to mount an action-camera (for example, GoPro 4) on the quadcopter by means of a scotch tape or something else at that the device will still fly
- It is possible to increase the flying range using some additional accessories
- Quite short initial flying range — just 330 feet
- Low quality camera
- Low wind resistance — at wind speed of 3-4 m/s the quadcopter is carried away from the given route
UDI U818A: a quadcopter with a camera
It’s a UFO with a camera. This is a very funny, fast and spry drone. It can easily fly in the smallest room. The device construction is very light, the rotors are protected with round covers and they are of different colors.
This way you can see between the device front and back side. It is capable of all maneuvers that other larger models can do, but it performs them faster and it looks much more interesting. Rotor consoles are made of carbon and it sufficiently increases the device endurance in general.
Cheap amateur radio-controlled quadcopters that cost less than 100 dollars gain more and more popularity nowadays. This is perfect chance for some new company on the market to announce about its brand and product. Exactly what UDI company has done when it produced its stylish radio-controlled quadcopter U818A.The device construction is based on 6-axis gyroscope. This quadcopter is completely ready to fly right after it was taken from the packaging and it doesn’t need any additional preparations.
All you need it just to put the batteries into all devices and you can start to fly. Before this an automatic synchronization of the devices is performed and it finishes with a sound signal.
UDI U818A body is made of plastic, its is dismountable with an embedded proofing. At that the device control is quite smooth and responsive. The drone maximum speed outside is 5.8 m/h.
- 720P HD CAMERA DRONE: One of our best drones with camera; includes 4GB Micro SD card and reader for easy download
- DO EASY FLIPS: Press 1 button to flip this HD drone
- STAY SUPER STABLE: 6-axis gyro + Headless Mode enhance video drone flight and drone camera images
- PERFECT GIFT: Easy controls make this a great kids drone or drone for adults
- BONUS BATTERY + POWER BANK: Fly this RC drone 4x longer, even when you're on the go
An embedded camera comes in a set, it feeds from the shared battery. It can film video and photo of low resolution 640×480. You won’t get FPV using a standard remote control device, but the drone itself has such a possibility. Photo and video recording is run from the remote control and saved onto SD memory card. In general you can get about 10 minutes of video record.
The remote control is a 4-channel one and it operates on a frequency of 2.4Ghz. The device is convenient, it has a screen and besides standard flying mode switches (mode 1 to Mode 2) it has a special button that makes the copter flip-over 360 degrees when it is in the air. The same can be done without using this button, but you’ll have to be an experienced pilot to do that.
The set that costs 60-80 USD even has 1 GB SD memory card, a kit of white and black spare rotors to get where is back and front side of the drone and what is the most important – a li-polymer battery as well as a USB power supply for it come in the set.
We can say for sure that UDI U818A is one of the most affordable quadcopters with a camera nowadays: it is cheap, but at the same time not small sized, it has quite good battery and the device is well adapted for flying outside.
Udi U818A quadcopter is worth each dollar spent on it. It will surely do as the first experience quadcopter or as a device for landscape filming fan providing that the drone is upgraded with a higher quality camera capable of FPV broadcasting.
- R/C UFO design
- Modular-type construction
- 6-axis gyroscope
- Operates on a frequency of 2.4Ghz
- LED tap lights
- RTF device
- The camera
- Low flying range
- Short flight duration
Syma X5C-1 a cheap drone model for the first flying experience
Syma X5c quadcopter is a very strong and modern model with an embedded HD-camera. This quadcopter is quite easy to control and it’ll let you take amazing pictures and record video while flying. The drone model is applicable both in- and outside. Renewed Syma X5c-1 is developed specially for entry-level pilots.
All its units and electronic devices are protected by the drone body sheathed with soft and crash-proof plastic. And once you have blade guards, you shouldn’t be afraid of any crashes or collisions.
If you don’t have much money, but you still want to fly a quadcopter you should choose a model that is good to practice your flying skills. One of the devices that meets this requirement is an upgraded Syma X5C – 1 model. X5C-1 drone is an improved X5C version, that is also very popular and has gained a reputation among radio-controlled quadcopter fans.
- [Please Well be Note]:Only the purchase from Boom Shop can you get the product quality assurance and the better customer service. Please scan the QR code on the box, you will get a lifetime technical support
- [6-Axis Gyro]:Built-in 6-axis gyro stabilization system makes the helicopter more stable and flexible when flying
- [Anti-Interference]:2.4 GHz technology adopted for anti-interference. Even more than one quadcopter is flying at the same time they will not interfere with each other
- [360 degrees 3D eversion]: Professional cool and exquisite flight action. [Colorful LED light]: Suitable for flying in the dark at night
X5C Explorers stabilization system is constructed on th basis of 6-axis gyroscope. It allows not only to perform standard among all copter movements to the left and right, up and down, but also 360 degrees turnaround.
Those who have flown X5C, mention its manoeuvring ability. So if you are looking for a cheap radio-controlled drone with a camera – you won’t find a better option than Syma X5C.
As for the flying range – it isn’t large – just up to 330 feet of active remote control. The flying time is within 6 minutes (plus of minus 20%). During the flight the device camera not only makes the construction heavier, but it also consumes energy from Syma X5C battery. That’s why to get maximum long flying time and astonishing photos we’d advise you to buy some more spare batteries. Syma X5C battery gets fully charged in 1- 1.5 hours. You should take this fact into consideration both before buying this drone and going to train your flying skills.
Syma X5C-1 quadcopter is a strong and fast-moving drone model in its class of budget priced drones and it’ll do solely to get your first flying experience. It’s not reasonable to expect more from this device, since it is completely worth each dollar paid for it.
- Brushless motors
- 6-axis gyroscope
- Blade guards
- The device body reliability
- Radio frequency 2.4 Ghz
- Capable of turnaround
- The remote control device comes in the set
- Low capacity battery, since 5-7 minutes aren’t enough to enjoy the flight
- Battery charging time is 100 minutes
- No Headless Mode
- 2 MP camera
- Blades gear-wheels aren’t closed from mud
- Motors short life
DBPOWER MJX X400W – is a cheap drone with FPV
Another creation of the famous Chinese brand MJX R/C Technic. A budget priced quadcopter MJX X400W has gained its popularity due to its affordable price, futuristic design and FPV flying mode of course.
The device has a light weight not removable perimeter guard that makes a real difference when comparing this drone with its rivals. Rubber semispheres act as the copter underframe and make hard landing safer and easier.
LED tap lights are installed along the drone axes and let the user see between the device head and tail-end during the flight. Front lights are blinking red and blue and the ones on the back are white. Both are bright enough to fly in the evening.
6-axis gyroscope is responsible for the device stabilization in the air. The copter software lets the model perform such tricks as 3D flips and 360 degrees turnaround when flying.
Among the foreseen flying modes there is a self-protection function, that works when the device gets back to the user once the signal is lost. The drone control is easy to understand and user-friendly – even a kid can do it.
- REAL TIME TRANSMISSION: Have a bird's-eye view with this flying drone. Armed with a WIFI HD camera, you're in total control and can take any photos and videos you'd like.Then share them to your favorite social network in real time for the world to see!
- HEADLESS MODE DRONE FOR KIDS and BEGINNERS: Worried about controlling or losing the drone? With headless mode, you completely avoid these problems as you don't need to tell the orientation of the drone during the flight
- ONE KEY RETURN: Under headless mode, click the function button for once, the drone will return automatically, making control more easily for beginners
- 3D FLIP AND ROLL: Stun your friends by performing 360° flips in all directions. Just click the function button on the 2.4GHz controller and watch your drone's death defying stunts
- 2 SPEED MODEs SWITCHABLE: There are two speed modes you to choose from, for beginners and experts. This not only lets you fly both indoors and out, but also allows you to practice flying skills and quickly move from beginner to expert
It is possible to take pictures only when the drone hovers. Video filmed with this camera is a bit blurred which is quite expectable from such a camera. Taking pictures and filming is performed via FPV control on smartphone. It’s impossible to install another camera because of the drone design.
Firstly, there is no place on the drone body where you can put it (the gap under the body isn’t large considering small underframe) and secondly, the copter carrying capacity is not too big. Yet the camera has HD resolution, that’s why it’ll do for the majority of its users.
- Headless mode
- 6-axis gyroscope
- Gets back to the transmitter with a press of a button
- Flight duration
- Control frequency 2.4 GHz
- LED tap lights
Best mini drones
Hubsan X4 H107L – a drone for beginners and entertainment
Hubsan X4 H107L is a well-proven amateurs quadcopter without a camera produced by Chinese company Hubsan. It is a global bestseller, mini-copter Hubsan X4, a version with a blade guards.
It perfectly flies both inside and outside. Due to the well-designed construction, high-quality materials and light weight Hubsan X4 H107C easily survives most of crashes and collisions.
Hubsan X4 H107L quadcopter was produced in summer 2013, but it is still rather highly demanded. Which is no surprise – the device is simple and rather reliable, it can fly up to 7-9 minutes and about 330 feet high. Moreover it can carry some additional loads ( you can buy a camera for 10-20 USD if you want) and perform some tricks in the air.
The device control is executed via the remote control device, that operates on a frequency of 2.4Ghz and uses standard AA batteries. Its operational distance is about 330 feet (plus or minus 30 feet).
This drone model is so popular, that several similar models were produced, that differ just in some details. Lets have a closer look at them.
- Durable one piece main frame.
- Precision 6 axis gyro.
- Ready to Fly.
- 4 channel 2.4Ghz control.
- High capacity LiPO battery.
Hubsan X4 H107L is an upgraded model, due to which it was first called Hubsan X4 H107 v2. Quite a lot of changes were introduced: tap lights, rubber dumpers to soften the device landing, antiflip mode and improved distance range as well as a remote control device (according to the official statement the range has changed from 100 to 330 feet).
Hubsan X4 (H107C) 4 Channel it is the same as the previous model, but it has 0,3MP camera. However, the camera has just increased the quadcopter weight, that’s why this model has more powerful rotors (as a result the drone control has also improved) and a higher capacity battery.
Hubsan X4 H107C HD 2MP with 2MP camera. Again it is similar to the previous model but with higher resolution camera.
Hubsan H107D+ FPV X4 this is a model capable of FPV flying. That is, the device camera in the real time scale broadcasts video to the remote control screen and you fly seeing the first person view.
- Highly stable quadcopter
- Holds the height
- Quiet functioning
- DeviationTX compatibile
- Capable of flying at night
- Sticks sensibility can be adjusted
- Just 4-5 minutes of flight time
- Fragile rotors
- New devices protocol isn’t compatible with the previous models
- MicroSD and blade guards are missing in the set
- If the device loses the signal it may fly away
- Well, if you are looking for your first quadcopter, than Hubsan X4 H107D+ is a very interesting and innovative choice.
- Hubsan X4 H107L is a perfect option for those who want to have a small sized radio-controlled toy with 4 rotors that is capable of flying 330 feet high
Cheerson Cx-10 Mini – nano drone just for 18 USD
Cheerson CX-10 mini quadcopter is one of the smallest drones in the world. Despite its tiny size the device has functionalities even large copter models can envy.
An embedded 6-axis gyroscope eases the device control, therefore it flies smoothly and can hover in the air. This drone is designed for using it inside, but this shouldn’t stop you from flying outside if the weather is windless.
Advantages of this model are the following: its minimal weight and size that allow flying in very confined spaces. It is easily transported, controlled with a convenient and user-friendly remote control device, shows rather sufficient flying range. The drone has a fast charging battery as well.
- Suitable for: Ages 14+
- Model on Hubsan H111
- 6-axis design makes the gyroscope adjustable, promoting flying stability
- Flight time will be up to 4-8 minutes,3-level adjustable speed flip function
- Low voltage alarm
To charge the device 100mAh battery fully you’ll need 20 minutes. This will be enough for 5-6 minutes flight. The remote control device uses two AA batteries.
As for CX-10 body – it is made of high-impact plastic. There are 4 LEDs on the drone sides and its battery is fixed under the device body with 4 cap screws.
Due to its light weight the quadcopter can fly the distance of 6-8 meters in a second, that’s why when flying inside a room you should be careful – since plastic is still plastic and it can break. But if your drone has hit something, turn it of immediately to avoid possible breakage.
I wouldn’t recommend this drone to those who are just learning to fly quadcopters. But if you aren’t afraid of small difficulties, this is a good choice to fly in a room or house to spend time in cold winter days. Again, I’d advise to by several sets of rotors in advance, since thankfully they aren’t very expensive. This drone is of little use outside. First of all at 50 feet distance you won’t even see it, plus it is completely helpless to resist wind. Secondly, if it falls in some deep grass – again you may not see it at all and loose it or step on it accidentally. When flying inside I’d recommend to stay away from the things you like and don’t want to break. It is very convenient to carry this drone in a pocket, so you can use it any time you want.
- Low price
- It is the smallest quadcopter model by Cheerson
- Embedded 6 axis gyroscope
- Flies smoothly and can hover in the air
- There is a vast majority of spare parts for it on sale
- The battery charging time is 30 minutes.
- It is built to last a lifetime.
- The quadcopter can resist even hitting a wall and a floor, but even if you have broken some of the device details you can easily order new ones
- Micro size makes the device more complicated to master, than those of large or middle size ones.
- Its blades break very often and even the guards don’t help.
- Faulty goods come sometimes
- Even in case of the slightest blades damage the quadcopter starts to pull to the left or right or rolls over
Estes Proto-X 4606: the most popular nano quadcopter in the world
Estes Proto X 4606 is the smallest and the most light weight radio-controlled quadcopter in the world. If you ask any drones fan to name the smallest one, the answer will be Estes Proto-X 4606. This tiny device diameter is just 2 inches – two or three Estes Proto-X 4606 drones can easily fit an adult palm.
First thing you should pay your attention to is the device size – its length and width are just 2 inches. Proto-X appearance design is typical for quadcopters of this class: it has very short beams and small blades. The device weight is 0,39 unciae.
The copter body and all details are made of light plastic. Due to Proto-X 4606 tiny size it isn’t afraid of any collisions and falls – it causes damage neither to itself nor its surroundings.
- Flies easily in any open indoor area.
- Lights add to the fun when flying in the dark.
- 2.4GHz controller links only to your aircraft, so multiple aircraft can fly together.
- The triple-axis, three-accelerometer gyro features an Auto-Upright system for self-correcting flight
- Recharge quickly with the included USB charge cord.
The drone has sidelights to fly when it is dark. There are blue LED lights on its front beams лучи and red ones on the back. They help a pilot not to loose the device and define visually where its front side is directed.
Having fully-charged battery Estes Proto-X is capable of 10-15 minutes flight. When the battery is critically low, the LED lights under each rotor will turn off immediately and this way let you know about the battery level.
After that the copter will stay in the air for a little while and then slowly get down on the floor. The device 100mAh li-Ion battery gets fully charged in 30 minutes, after that the copter is ready to fly again.
Estes 4606 ‘Proto-X’ — is a very well designed quadcopter. It is quick and reliable, capable of staying in the air for a long time. This good-looking nano quadcopter will do for any pilot regardless of your flying experience. For the beginners the device is easy to master and for experts it’d be interesting to play with the smallest copter in the world, as well as the drone price is quite affordable to anyone.
- Stable flight
- Rapid takeoff
- Materials and details endurance
- High-quality built
- You can take the device with you
- Not very user-friendly remote control device
- Impossible to fly outside
Holy Stone HS170 Predator – Amazon buyers’ Choice
2500 reviews on Amazon.com speak for themselves. Holy Stone HS170 Predator quadcopter is a stylish, palm-size device – and an ideal option for all who want to learn the basics of drone control.
It has 6-axis gyroscope stabilization, you can fly the drone both inside and outside. Although taking into account its size – it’s better to fly the copter outside in a windless day.
- HEADLESS SECURITY SYSTEM Enables players of any level to fly the drone easily
- 2.4GHz Technology Adopted for Anti-Interference
- More Stable and Flexible with 6-Axis Gyro Stabilization System
- Good Performance of Wind-Resistant Control Range: About 30-50 Meters
- Flight Time: About 6-8 minutes Charging Time: About 45-60 minutes (Under currents input 0.5A-1A)
- Blades guard
- It is of little use outside
- Short flying time
Blade Nano QX – nano drone to fly inside
The device flexibility is its greatest advantage, that makes it interesting for users of both high and low flying experience. Depending on the flight mode the settings are adjusted. For example, Stability Mode will do for the beginners – in this mode the machine keeps the balance and stability itself and the most complicated functions are performed in semi-automatic mode. There are other modes for more experienced users, that allow complete control of the flight.
Those who like flying trough the rooms will find Blade Nano QX RTF an ideal option. This tiny copter model has a perfect stabilization in the air.
Its design feature doesn’t allow using it outside when it is windy. But when the day is windless you can surely fly outside.
For the beginner the fact that the device has two flying modes will be good news. These modes are very much alike and different at the same time.
- Features exclusive SAFETM technology with stability and agility modes
- Small enough to fly in any room or office
- Requires a 4+ channel DSM2 or DSMX transmitter
- Potent brushed motors that provide smooth and powerful lift
- 4-in-1 DSMX Receiver/ESCs/mixer/SAFE sensor unit
Blade Nano QX — on of the few nano quadcopters that are full of different functions. If uses the technology named SAFE: this is the one responsible for how the copter behaves in the air. According to the tests Nano QX — is a sharp moving, but well controlled mini drone.
By the way you can turn this technology off and after that the drone will fly even faster, though in this case the chances that you hit something raise.
The device 150mAh li-polymer battery ensures from 6 to 10 minutes of flight, depending on the conditions where you fly your copter. The battery gets fully-charged in 20-30 minutes by means of USB cable that comes in the drone set.
In the RFT set everything is foreseen and all you need is just to charge the device battery, put the batteries into the remote control device and the drone is ready to fly. As for the BNF-set the remote control device is missing there.
The last officially produced drone version is Blade Nano QX 3D. It means the new copter capability to flip in the air at 180-360 degrees. However, this isn’t the only difference. The rotors have been replaced as well ( now they don’t have a core) and the device has more powerful battery of 200mAh capacity.
- Powerful engines and hardware
- Small size
- High flight stability
- Perfect appearance
- Easy to control
- The drone in designed solely for inside use
EACHINE E010 Mini UFO – the best present for a kid
Eachine E010 Mini – is another small budget priced quadcopter with a “return to home” mode, headless mode, LED tap lights and stylish futuristic design. T
he device 6-axis stabilization and small size allow comfort flying inside the house. The longest flight time is up to 5 minutes which is compensated with a fast battery charge – it takes about 50 minutes.
Having bought Eachine E010 you can forget about all of these. The quadcopter is easily controlled, which makes it the best present for kids and RC-devices fans.
- ONE-KEY RETURN: With built-in positioning system, the drone can auto locate the remote control, just press the one key return button, the drone will fly back to the remote control's location.
- 360° ROLL-OVER: The simple flying of WSAD is to boring, and the new 3D rolling special effects surprise all the people.
- COMPASS MODE: The drone will change its flight direction with the change of the direction of remote control.
- STEPS TO MATCH CODE: 1. Turn on the quadcopter then turn on the controller; 2. Push the throttle(left lever) to the top , and then pull it down; 3. When you hear a "Beep", which means the connection was set up successfully, and then you can start to fly your drone.
- Any questions, please feel free to contact us first.
All you need is just to charge the drone and insert the AA batteries into the remote control and you are ready to fly! Though pocket quadcopters are mainly designed to fly inside, Eachine E010 can freely fly outside as well.
- The materials quality
- Will do for the beginners
- Safe for surroundings
- RTF device
- Has no FPV camera
- Flight duration
- Not user-friendly remote control
What is the difference between drones?
A drone with camera or without it?
One of the main parameters when choosing some specific quadcopter model is if it has an embedded camera on board. Relatively small number of large sized drones have it.
That’s why almost all drone fans install a camera on their devices themselves. In general some certain logic can be observed here – the larger the copter is the less chances it has for a camera in its set. Whereas almost all small drone models have a small embedded camera.
Quadcopters without camera are the best ones to learn to fly these machines, because at first it is quite complicated to fly a drone and record video at the same time – it is a rather difficult task for the beginner.
Cameras installed onto the drone body have low resolution and image quality, but these are enough for home video and etc.
There are copters that can broadcast video in the real time scale. This allows navigate the device by means of 3D-goggles.
FPV – an innovation of extensive use
FPV abbreviation that is used for flying drones has appeared comparatively recently. This is the technology which full name is First Person View. It occurred due to using cameras installed on board of the flying drone. The idea of this function is to let the user see the image captured by the drone camera in the real time scale.
The number of of this technology applications is almost infinite. It can be used for both entertainment and professional sphere. That’s why drones with FPV function are used in various industry fields.
They are utilized by farmers when fertilizer treatment and tracking their cattle, law enforcement authorities, rescue services and etc. Such devices are also used where it’s dangerous and risky to send a man. By means of a drone with FPV feature a rescue team can examine some object before taking any measures as for emergency management or before arresting an armed criminal and so on.
A drone control – via flight controller or a smartphone?
Last but not least characteristic of any drone is its control method. It is convenient and acceptable among the professionals to use a flight controller to manage the drone flight.
Radio-controlled copters fly stable and far since their remote control device has all necessary controls and the carrier channel is quite reliable. In this case the flight duration increases greatly and sometimes it is about several miles. However, the flying process itself becomes more complicated because the remote control functions range is wider than those of a smartphone.
There are drones that use WI-FI and Bluetooth to perform their flights. And in this case an ordinary smartphone is used as a remote control. There are some advantages for the user in this way of the device control since he can control the drone flight by means of quite easy interface.
The drone flying height, speed and other parameters are changed with a single finger movement on the smartphone screen. Besides, another plus here is that the user can see the filming process the copter performs in the real time scale. If necessary the user can take a picture of some interesting object he’s seen while watching the video his drone was recording.
Apart from some obvious advantages of flying a copter via a smartphone it has a significant drawback. You can control the device in a very limited area, namely within the Internet connection zone. That’s why the majority of users prefer using remote control devices.
Speed, flying range and time?
A quadcopter control and flying range depend on lots of aspects: the drone and its equipment weight, the device operating units and its size. The majority of quadcopters demonstrate rather moderate parameters. Their operational time varies within 10-20 minutes.
That’s why when buying a quadcopter don’t save on additional batteries and buy some. They will be of a great use, because the average time the battery needs to recharge is about 45-90 minutes.
Keep in mind that hovering and any other functional features of the drone flying modes as well as using the camera often increases the device power consumption.
Budget priced quadcopters with small flight range (up to 650 feet) and flying duration about 15 minutes will do for amateurs. If you want a drone that flies far and for a long time you’ll have to pay much more – such drone models are usually chosen for some specific tasks.
Racing drones are a separate quadcopter class. Flying these drones requires special skills. Having high flying speed ( starting from 55 miles per hour), racing drone models have a strong frame ( mostly made of carbon fiber), small weight (up to 900 g) and standard frame size.
The camera to see racing drone course is a must in this case. The drone small size and adjustable software allow getting high control response required for precise device manipulation.
Sensors – they protect your drone
Not all quadcopters have sensors. Only some of these are indispensable, that’s why sensors are mostly installed on more expensive copter models, where they ensure using some special features.
The most popular are GPS sensors – they let implement additional smart functions as well as allow managing the flying range and height. In some quadcopters such as DJI Phantom, GPS sensors are used for the device getting back to the fly-off point function, which is performed using one special button.
The battery – a quadcopter flying time depends on it
Another one important technical parameter of any quadcopter is its battery. The higher capacity it has, the longer the drone flies. In average the device with an ordinary packaging contents can fly not longer than 15 minutes.
If the user has a large sized drone he may equip it with an additional battery set. In this case the flight duration increases up to 30 minutes. We should mention that such an upgrade is possible for the majority of average and small sized drones.
Because their weight becomes larger due to the additional battery and the device rotors power will be just not enough to lift it up. This issue can be partially solved bt means of additional batteries – you put the after the current battery gets discharged, but you have to land the copter to do this.
Depending on their chemical content there are 3 types of quadcopter batteries: Li-ion, Li-Fe and Li-polymer ones.
Li-Ion batteries appeared the first. They were quite light weight and had rather high capacity at that time, but it became comparatively less in time.
Li-Po batteries invented later turned out to be more advanced. If compared with Li-ion batteries they have twice larger energy density on unit volume and mass. Such batteries can be very small (from 1 mm thick) and of any required shape. Another one their advantage is absence of “memory effect”.
Lithium-ferrum (Li-Fe) can work in the widest temperature range which makes them multi-purpose ones almost under any conditions. They have high output current and low
self-discharge. The battery main drawback is its mass. These batteries are the heaviest ones that’s why they haven’t become quite popular.
Li-Po battery is considered to be the most optimal and popular one today as for the battery capacity to mass ratio. They aren’t stable at subzero, but this problem is easily settled if you put a battery into your quadcopter right before flying and before that keep the battery in a warm place (in a pocket, for example).
To avoid Li-Po battery early break down you should observe its storage conditions. You mustn’t store a fully-charged battery! This reduces it electrochemical capacity. There are special devices for the battery storage, that keep optimal voltage of 3.85 V (they are capable of charging and discharging the battery up to the required value).
It’s better to store the battery in the fridge or at room temperature, though the second option is less preferable since the battery will loose its properties faster this way. Although, frankly speaking, sooner or later its capacity will still get low: approximately minus 2-4% during a year providing proper storage conditions and up to 20% off the initial capacity – in case of wrong storage conditions.
Drone motors – brushed or brushless electric motor
In case of any drone its motors take the largest part of general energy consumption. If we look at quadcopters for example – they have 4 motors. They impell the blades of the device and it rises into the air performing the tasks you bought it for.
The motors are divided into the following types:
- Brushed DC electric motor (it has a commutator). They are the most spread ones, because it is easier to produce them and they are cheaper as a result;
- Brushless DC electric motor (BLDC motors, BL motors): the main difference is that in a very short time interval this motor can get maximum rating of a shaft rotation;
- stepping motor (they are not used almost at all)
Brushed DC electric motor for copters is characterized by a light weight and low cost. The drawback of this motor type is its low power as well as heating while rotor spinning, that leads to its occasionally replacement. Such motors don’t have rather high durability and when buying a drone it’d be a good idea to get several spare motors.
Brushless DC electric motor is more expensive, but at that it is more powerful and reliable. The moving element of this motor isn’t a rotor, but a stator (its case). This allows the blade gaining its full speed rpm in a split second. This type of motors is more wearproof and it has higher efficiency, though thee can be installed only in large sized drone models.
A drone size and number of blades
Modern multicopters use Brushless DC electric motors and Li-Po batteries as a power source. These place some restrictions of their flying properties: standard mass of a drone is from 2 to 9 pounds at that the flying time is from 10 to 30 minutes (some unique devices can demonstrate 30—50 minutes of flying time).
Maximal carrying capacity of an average sized drone is from 1 to 6 pounds, which lets lift up a small photo or video camera (as a rule it is an action-camera for cheaper models and DSLR camera in case of professional usage drones).
There are quite large multicopters with 6-8 motors (hexa- and octocopter) capable of lifting up to 50 pounds load. To enhance the copter carrying capacity manufacturers use aligning arrangement of loading rotors, which in case of hexacopter, for example, gives 12 motors and 12 rotors put in pairs on 6 support beams.
Multicopter flight speed can vary from zero (the device hovers) to 62 m/h. The batteries energy level allows some copter models flying up to 4-8 miles long. In the real life their operating range (maximum distance that the device can fly and then get back to the fly-off point) is limited with direct visibility (350-650 feet in case of manual control) or with the radio-control devices range coverage.
Thus this is the device flight time that applies the strongest limitation on drones operating range.
These restrictions lead to the fact that drones are usually used as a “short range” devices: to perform amateurs flights not far from the user, to take pictures and record video of closely located objects and etc.
Nowadays quadcopters with different number of blades (from 4 to 8) are produced. The more blades the device has, the faster it can get to the point of destination. The flight stability depends on this number as well.
As for the device size, drones are divided into 3 classes according to this parameter: large, average and small sized (nano quadcopters are considered as a type of small sized ones). The drone price, carrying capacity and operability enhance proportionally to its size.
Large drones vary from the others in high carrying capacity and they are designed for long flights without the battery trickle charging. Their maximum flying height also impresses! Such devices are bought for professional needs. Quite often these models are equipped with additional batteries to increase their flight range.
Average sized drones have become a mass product. They easily fit a common rucksack, they are quite fast and strong. Many models are equipped with an embedded camera with quite acceptable video quality. Such devices can fly rather high.
Sometimes a recording device is bought separately and installed on the drone later. Copter of this size can be used inside as well but its flight will be obviously restricted with the room center, although outside they fly far and high.
Small and nano sized copter models are more often bought by the beginners that are just learning to fly these devices. Such models have simple construction and they are easily controlled. You can use them in a room or in a small office. It isn’t very likely that you lift up anything with a nano quadcopter or take a quality photo, but you’ll surely enjoy flying this tiny device.
Lately completely tiny drone models have appeared – they can fit a palm (Walkera Ladybird, WLtoys V929 and etc). They are almost safe (the device mass is about 1,41 ounces), at the same time the user can yet get the piloting skills since control principles are still the same.
Quadcopters of this size can be used at home without a risk of doing any harm to people or objects. Buying exactly this drone type is recommended to the beginners to get their first flying experiences.
How much money are you ready to spend?
This is the most important question when you are making your mind as for which quadcopter to buy. This is the budget that can sufficiently limit your choice and this is what also restricts the copter capabilities within a certain price. If the copter is to be used as a toy then 100-150 USD will be quite enough.A really professional copter with a flying range up to 2 miles and flying time about 30 minutes and more, with 4K camera in the set and a stabilization carrying arm – this drone will cost about 1000-2000 USD.
How not to break or loose your drone?
Unlike a plane that can fly with a turned off engine or a helicopter that can land by means of Autorotation, a multicopter when its motors or power turn off gets completely unpiloted. The quadcopter can save stabilization if one of its motors turns off.
Considering the fact that a multicopter has quite sufficient mass and strong body with fast spinning rotors its collision with people or transport may have some negative consequences. That’s why flights where people or transport are around are highly not recommended. It’s desirable to plan the flight route that in case of necessity ( for example if the battery is low) there will be some free space for safe landing.
The human factor is also important. Modern flight controller in its adjustment complexity and the number of flying modes is almost like a PC. Not attentive reading of the manual or some necessary actions not performed ( for example, a compass calibration when adjusting the device) may lead to incontrollable flight and loosing your drone as a result.
If the drone gets out of the remote control device action radius and GPS coming back mode is absent – this is another reason why drones get lost.
Here is the review of the best drone companies
Among the vast number of drone companies there are those, whose models stand out from the rest for their features and they are considered to be one of the best for various parameters.
Last update on 2018-02-20 at 06:31 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API